Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Financial Reward for Putting Off College?

Getting paid to not go to college? That is what I thought at first when I looked at this article. However really what they are saying is that many institutions are beginning to encourage students to take a year off before they start college and do some sort of public service. Some schools are giving finical benefits to students who do this and others are simply helping to provide the public service opportunities.
Dickinson College, in Carlisle PA, promotes offers $10,000 in credit towards tuition for every year of full-time public service, with a cap at four years, or $40,000. Many universities prefer that you do your work through Americorps. This corporation for national and community service will provide $4,725 for a year of full-time service. Many universities then match that.
Princeton University encourages students to take a year off and apply for their Bridge Year program where they match students up with host families in Ghana, India, Peru, or Serbia. This program had 54 students apply for it and only 20 were accepted. Overall schools are saying that they want students to broaden students’ perspectives before they start working toward their careers.
I think this is a very interesting idea. Many students would gain a lot from this experience and it just might help some students “grow up” a bit before their start trying to figure out what they want to do with their life. With our economy in crisis it is also a good way to save money without having to join a form of military branch. I think if schools want this type of thing to be successful they should advertise it more. I have never heard of it before this article. I think it would have been something fun and would have been a great learning experience for me.

http://thechoice.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/09/a-financial-reward-for-putting-off-college/

4 comments:

  1. I think there can be many benefits to putting off college, taking a year off, and taking advantage of service learning opportunities. The fact that there are rewards and incentives available only makes it more enticing! Giving high school grads a chance experience the world and develop a sense of self through service learning opportunities, might be just what they need to spark their learning aspirations career desires. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very intertesting. I agree with the concept, but wonder how universities and colleges would be able to afford a program as such. Perhaps some can, and certainly I would think Princeton would be one of them, but many colleges and universities would have difficult sustaining such an effort.

    Perhaps there is a way to be creative and make the $$ available, if so, the AmeriCorp Program is a great way for young people to travel, meet new friends and do something worthwhile for communities in our country and around the globe. Our North Dakota town of 750 people hosted 3 to 4 AmeriCorp volunteers a few years ago and they were tasked with painting a number of things for the city. They did a great job and I hope learned a bit about small town living and giving back.

    I repeat, this is a great idea, in fact one that President Obama talked about when running for office. If our nation can fund it, then hopefully it can grow because it is worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea, I find more and more of my students mentioning the need for community service on the scholarship applications etc. It would be nice if there was more information about this given to students instead of just pushing them go to college go to college. Even as 9th and 10th graders my students are being pushed toward choosing a career path/college goals etc. I really like the year off idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I never thought of taking a year off. When I was going to school I wanted to get done as soon as I could. At the end I was just getting frustrated with not having any money, and I was tired of living in little slums that we called apartments. Now I still don't make much money as a teacher and my apartment is a little bigger then it was in college. Its funny how kids want to be finished right away and start working in the real world, when they have no idea what they are going to leave behind. I think this is a great idea and opportunity for students to take advantage off. This might be a great way for students to realize what they want to do with their lives. I know some colleges now are making students observe and do student teaching in their first couple of years at school. It might be a great way for other students to do an intern and other work related jobs, in the field of their choice. I do think that we need to make sure those students that are taking a semester off come back to school. I think this could be a problem if schools were to make this mandatory, the students might decide that school isn't for them at all. This would be my biggest fear, continuing your education is the best tool a person can have.

    ReplyDelete